Nice() in Sys V.4

Bobby Krupczak krupczak at secola.Columbia.NCR.COM
Thu Mar 21 23:27:35 AEST 1991

Hi!

I should have been more specific about my previous posting regarding
nice'ing processes.

I do not want to nice() my own process (I want to nice to nice others),
hence the confusion.  After investigating the priocntl() series of functions,
I determined that this was not the way to go.

In V.4, there is a /proc file system.  If you look in this directory on
any V.4 box, there will be files named by numbers.  These files correspond
to running processes.  By opening these files and doing double-secret
ioctl()'s, you can get & set process information, look into a process's
memory, and probably screw it up pretty bad if you wanted to.  I found
a ioctl() option that will allow one to set the nice value of a process.
Unforntunately, the header files do not tell what the arguments are.

More on this exciting story as late breaking news develops.

Bobby