Nice() in Sys V.4

Chris Torek torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov
Sun Mar 24 12:08:49 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar21.141753.28726 at nncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM>
wescott at Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) writes:
[quoting proc(4) from some SVR4 system]
>	The argument p is a generic pointer whose  type  depends  on
>	the  specific  ioctl code.  Where not specifically mentioned
>	below, its value should be  zero.

Whoop!  Whoop!  Confusion alert!

Does this mean `the argument p should be a null-pointer-to-char', or
does it mean `the argument p should be a pointer-to-char holding the
address of an int whose value is zero', or does it mean something else?

It is impossible for p to have the `value ... zero' because p is a
pointer---Pointers Are Not Integers---but this means we must guess at
what was really meant.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek at ee.lbl.gov