ARPA

Mike McNamara mac at esl.UUCP
Tue Nov 11 06:31:53 AEST 1986

In article <124 at unirot.UUCP> gib at unirot.UUCP (gib wallis) writes:
>What software handles ARPA communications on UNIX machines, and where/how
>is it obtained?
>

>--
>..!rutgers!unirot!gib
>OR gib at unirot.UUCP
>"Power can command wealth, but wealth can't always command power."

	I am right in the middle of this.  As distributed, 4.2 & 4.3 BSD
	include software in /usr/sys/netimp which supports communication to
	an IMP via the 1822 protocol.  However, ARPA is trying to get away from
	1822 and move towards X.25.

	Advanced Computer Communications, of Santa Barbara, CA, sells an
	interface board, (Unibus or Q-bus) which drive x.25, plus cables,
	distribution panel, and x.25 device driver routines for both 4.2 &
	4.3 BSD.  The whole kit costs $6500, and is called something like
	SCP-6250.

	Other software required is TCP/IP, which is an itergral part of BSD
	unix, so no cost.  For SYS V, I don't know.