Unsolicited messages (was Re: Slaying Gould dragon...)

Roy Smith roy at phri.UUCP
Wed Nov 12 11:05:27 AEST 1986

In article <22332 at rochester.ARPA> ken at rochester.UUCP (SKY) writes:
> I would like, for example, to designate one window for messages when
> I'm on a Sun.  We have the biff service, why not a mesg service?
> Has anybody worked on a general solution [...]

	On my Sun-3, running 3.0, all the usual write, biff, wall, etc
messages come up in my console window.  I havn't looked into it too
closely, but it seems like it works something like this:

	Programs all see that I'm logged in on /dev/console and write to me
there.  The console device driver is just an indirect driver (much like
/dev/tty) which hands off I/O to the apropriate pty.  Presumably when I
designate a window as a console, the shelltool issues some sort of ioctl to
indicate that the particular pty it is using is to be considered the
console from now on.  Works fine.  Seems pretty general.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"you can't spell deoxyribonucleic without unix!"