Amdahl UTS vs. Unix/V and Berkeley 4.2

Jerry West west at onion.cs.reading.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 20:11:17 AEST 1986

In article <5383 at brl-smoke.ARPA> lacasse at RAND-UNIX.arpa writes:
>It had some unusual conventions, like a standard directory in everyone's
>home directory called "...", where .login, .cshrc, .profile, etc.
>ad infinitem were located.

The comments above appear to refer to UTS 1.0 (I think, I forget their
internal numbering scheme) which has been superceded by a Sys/V version
of UTS. This is far less idiosyncratic than the earlier version.

>They may have made dramatic improvements since then.  I'd advice you
>pay careful attention to the full duplex tty issue.

The full duplex problem still exists, although they have made valiant efforts
to provide support tools (editors, terminal support etc) for the sort
of "intelligent" terminals IBM forces upon you. We don't have those sort
of terminals (we didn't buy from IBM) and editing is damn frustrating.

Jerry