Line printer problem. Interleaved files.

Bill C. Schaffer bills at slovax.UUCP
Sat Nov 15 02:01:44 AEST 1986

We are using Ultrix-32M, version 1.2, on a Micro Vax II with an HP laserjet
printer.  Once in a while, 2 files are printered interleaved. I am assuming
multiple daemons are active but have been unable to prove it.  The directory,
file and binary permissions are set as stated in the 4.2BSD Line Printer
Spooler Manual.  The lock file has owner daemon, group daemon, and permissions
0664.  The lo= attribute in the printcap has been used without any change.
We are using one spooling queue (/usr/spool/lpd) and one printcap entry.

lp|local line printer, generic, with output filter:\
	:lp=/dev/lp:\
	:fc#177777:fs#06321:xc#177777:xs#040:br#9600:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/lpd:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:pl#66:\
	:of=/usr/local/lib/lp/filterlp:

The of= filter checks for laserjet output text and if it is not, resets the
printer to something that lpr and print can use, then passes the text through.

Any help appreciated.

tikal!slovax!bills
System Admin.
R&D Associates