BSD & Sys5 Job Control

wombat at ccvaxa.UUCP wombat at ccvaxa.UUCP
Thu Jan 29 10:34:00 AEST 1987

/* Written  5:21 pm  Jan 23, 1987 by jpn at teddy.UUCP in ccvaxa:comp.unix.questions */
Both shl and "job control" are unnecessary if you have a true windowing
system.  Both are HACKS to provide capabilities close to window systems
using dumb terminals.
/* End of text from ccvaxa:comp.unix.questions */

Close, but not quite. I used to run a very CPU-intensive process
overnights (specifically, running test suites on a software emulator for
a different machine). Because other people used the same machine for
their heavy computing during the day (more copies of the same emulator),
and because they usually got to work before I did in the morning, I
could get up early, dial up, send the process a SIGSTOP, and *not* get
nasty mail about letting the thing run unwatched during the day. When I
came in to the office, I just sent it a SIGCONT and poked around with
what it had been working on. Try doing *that* with a window system.

"What the hell do you pack anyway, when you're off to see a two-ton
messenger from the stars buried at the end of the world's largest sewer?"
K.W. Jeter, *Dr. Adder*				Wombat
					ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!wombat