How to make sendmail re-read the configuration file (and cron)

mp at allegra.UUCP mp at allegra.UUCP
Mon Jan 26 11:31:27 AEST 1987

As for the original question, the folks at ulysses run /usr/lib/sendmail -bs
from inetd.  You then need to put calls to /usr/lib/sendmail -q
in crontab, but this isn't such a bad idea anyway, since for some
reason it results in far fewer hung sendmail processes compared to
sendmail -bd -qxxxm.

As for ables at mcc-pp's question about cron not noticing changes in a
shared crontab, I think the problem may be due to the caching in ND.
(I'm presuming that the shared copy is in /pub, not in an NFS
partition; we have the same problem with our shared /usr/lib/aliases,
which lives in ND rather than NFS so that we can control access to
it).  Modifying cron so it doesn't keep /usr/lib/crontab open all the
time, and periodically flushing the clients' disk caches should help.
We've found "du /pub" - we have several thousand files in our /pub -
and a couple "umount /pub"'s (umount will fail, of course,
but it does what we want) usually flush the cache.

	Mark Plotnick
	allegra!mp