Help with UUCP

Jim Thompson jim at otto.UUCP
Tue Jan 6 10:16:06 AEST 1987

Expires:

In article <217000001 at orstcs.UUCP> hakanson at orstcs.UUCP (hakanson) writes:

>/* Written 12:03 pm  Dec 29, 1986 by kvancamp at ARDEC.a@brl-adm in comp.unix.ques */
>/* ---------- "Help with UUCP" ---------- */
>>	 . . .
>>	 RETRY TIME (3300) NOT REACHED
>>	 . . .
>> I also tried 'Any,1' to force the minimum
>> retry time to be one minute, with the same results.
>/* End of text from orstcs:comp.unix.ques */
>
>From looking at the sources in 4.2bsd (and 4.3bsd, I presume), I found
>that the minimum retry time is 5 minutes, even if you set it smaller.
>I think the default was about 60 minutes, but I may have misremembered.
>At any rate, this will probably be different on non-BSD uucp's....

(Opps.)

Well, under 4.2 bsd and Sun3.0 Setting Any,1 or even Any,0
will work as expected.	The DEFAULT retry time is 5 min.
Read the source a little closer.

The original poster had a problem whilst invoking uucico -r1 -s(system)
without first removing the /usr/spool/STST.system.	(In other dirs in
HDB and 4.3)

There (usually) exists some kind of executable or script called 'uupoll'
in /usr/lib/uucp.

Here's one:  (written from scratch, so don't flame on minor mistakes)

#! /bin/sh
cd /usr/lib/uucp
rm -f /usr/spool/uucp/STST.$1
exec uucico -r1 -s$1 $2

Note that the 'rm' line may have to be changed if you keep your 'status' files
somewhere other than /usr/spool/uucp.

Invoke as 'uupoll system-name' or (optionally) (if you are debugging)

uupoll system-name -x5 (or 7 or 9)

--

                                                    --Jim
| try: {akgua,ihnp4,mirror,sdcrdcf}!otto!jim       Jim Thompson            |