sVr2.2: what is /usr/lib/cron/queuedefs?

jrw at hropus.UUCP jrw at hropus.UUCP
Tue Jan 13 23:23:06 AEST 1987

> Which reminds me:  the file /usr/lib/cron/queuedefs has consistently confused
> me.  Is it, as it appears, a way of specifying "flags" for multiple "at"
> queues?

Close ;-)

> a.4j1n		<- apparently the definition for the "at" queue
> b.2j2n90w		<- and for the "batch" (really, "at -b") queue
							    ^^ oops?

> If I don't need a sVr2 source license to get the answers, I'd like to know:

I hope you don't need a license for this, so, here goes...

> (1) Are the lines in queuedefs actually the flags for the "a" and "b" queues?
> (2) If (1), what do the flags mean, and what other flags are there?

		b.2j2n90w
		| | |  |
		| | |  + wait 90 seconds if the queue is full before
		| | |    looking at it again
		| | |
		| | +--- nice value of 2 on this queue
		| |

		+------- the queue [a-z]

> (3) Can I create my own queues, using the flags from (2)?  How do I specify
>     an arbitrary queue to "at"?

Just add a similar line to this file.

cat-ing /usr/bin/batch reveals a shell script.  As it is probably considered
source code, I cannot show it here ;-) but you specify different queues to at
by saying "at -qA" where A is [a-z].

This is how it is done here anyway....
--
Jim Webb             "Out of phase--get help"          ...!ihnp4!hropus!jrw
    "Make sure comments and code agree.  If not, write a man page..."