security

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Tue Jan 13 07:18:01 AEST 1987

In article <172 at herman.UUCP> det at herman.UUCP (Derek Terveer) writes:
>...  My gripe happens to be security.  I find
>the user/group/world security quite cumbersome and tedious to manage as a
>system administrator with a brood of ~70 users.  To me, a security scheme
>should be a tad more specific than Unix allows.

It isn't all that hard to implement an Access Control List scheme
for UNIX; the main difficulty lies in integrating it into the
existing system.  I plan to produce a simple ACL system sometime
this year (it's needed as part of a large application project) and
will make it available free to whoever wants it.  Most likely its
use won't be transparent (e.g., one might have to invoke a utility
to provide the access, rather than having it done by the shell or
other normal part of UNIX).