Prompt changing on the fly - Oops

Eric Flink eric at hpfcda.HP.COM
Thu Jan 22 03:38:30 AEST 1987

I like having my current directory name appear in my prompt.
The following aliases appear in my .cshrc file:

    set prompt="(\! $cwd:t) % "
    alias cd 'set cdmark=$cwd; chdir \!* ; set prompt="(\! $cwd:t) % "'
    alias pushd 'pushd \!* ; set prompt="(\! $cwd:t) % "'
    alias popd 'popd; set prompt="(\! $cwd:t) % "'

Note: the :t modifier appended to $cwd strips all but the last
element of the path name.  (Otherwise your prompt might get very
long!)  I didn't invent these aliases, someone posted the idea
to USENET some time back.

Using the Korn shell, you can do the same thing with the following:

    export PS1