why learn UNIX

guy at gorodish.UUCP guy at gorodish.UUCP
Sun Jan 25 07:44:52 AEST 1987

>  But I do wish DEC would give it a go along the same lines, with Ultrix.
>  Maybe the day will come when the following line disappears from finger(1) :
>
>   "The encoding of the gcos field is UCB dependent - it knows
>    that an office '197MC' is '197M Cory Hall', and that '529BE'
>    is '529B Evans Hall' "

The problem here is not with the manual, the problem is with the
program; the correct fix is to take that silly localism out of the
program if it's to be distributed as part of anything more formal
than a BSD release.  The code, and the comment in the manual page,
are certainly gone from *our* release.