why learn UNIX

pavlov at hscfvax.UUCP pavlov at hscfvax.UUCP
Thu Jan 22 16:31:46 AEST 1987

In article <1035 at sfsup.UUCP>, phyllis at sfsup.UUCP writes:

> Garry, I object to your characterization of the UNIX manuals.
> Have you seen the System V Release 3.0 Reference Manuals?
> They are not cryptic and obscure, there are examples (although
> they need more), they have indices, and the pages have been
> heavily edited to take into consideration the level of the user.

  Well, I haven't seen them so I can't confirm the above.  But I do wish DEC
  would give it a go along the same lines, with Ultrix.  Maybe the day will
  come when the following line disappears from finger(1) :

   "The encoding of the gcos field is UCB dependent - it knows
    that an office '197MC' is '197M Cory Hall', and that '529BE'
    is '529B Evans Hall' "

  - nothing against UCB.  And it is a nice personal touch.  But there are lotsa
    places where the ink could have been put to better use ...

  - any correlation to the cancelling of the Titan project (and the reasons
    for ?)

      ever -:), greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny