ulimit considered braindamaged ?

Derek Terveer det at herman.UUCP
Sat Jan 10 15:38:42 AEST 1987

In article <354 at cfa.cfa.harvard.EDU>, wyatt at cfa.harvard.EDU (Bill Wyatt) writes:
> Just to add my two cents: I have only used bsd/Ultrix systems, and never
> realized this file size limitation existed in Sys5. It may have seemed
> reasonable at one time, but in my applications (astronomical image
> processing), it would be FATAL. A typical data file for me is 1/2 Mbyte,
> many are from 1 to 8 Mbytes. Some people in my group have 128 Mbyte files,
> and these are by no means the largest I know of.

I had to up the ulimit on our system (Vr2) quite early in the game because the
compiler that we use for our program development (cms-2m) seems to think it is
quite funny to create 2-6Meg *scratch* files!!!  (it is an old compiler that we
are, sigh.., yes STILL using and was originally written to use several tape
drives for compiler interphase scratch)