Program runs under sdb, but when called direct?!?!

The Computer Guy guy at enmasse.UUCP
Sat Jan 17 03:12:14 AEST 1987

In article <1024 at chinet.UUCP> megabyte at chinet.UUCP (Dr. Megabyte) writes:
        I have a program, the recent VC spreadsheet program on my
        AT&T 3b2/400 with SVR2.  I compiled it without errors.  When I
        try to run it, the program does nothing, so I treid to use
        the sdb debugger on it.  When I used "sdb vc" and then issued
        the "r" command to run the program, it ran fine!!

        What could make a program run perfectly under the debugger, but
        not from the shell?

I had the very same problem once.  It turned out that my PATH
environment variable did not search the current directory first, so
the shell was actually executing a program in another directory, while
sdb (using the program name as a pathname) executed the one in the
current directory.  Don't you hate stupid problems like this?
--
                                           -- guy k hillyer
               {alliant,panda,drilex}!enmasse!guy