Environment / tool set

Jeff Hull jeff at spp2.UUCP
Fri Jan 23 05:36:47 AEST 1987

In article <792 at randvax.UUCP> richter at randvax.UUCP (Susan Richter) writes:
>We're looking for a calendar management package to run under (4.3bsd)

What other tools does one need in a complete environment?  Have any of you
written down your ideas?  Would you send me a copy?

I am interested in project-oriented computer environments.  Currently,
ours includes UNIX systems (VAX,Pyramid,3B2,Suns), IBM-PC-compatible
systems, and Macintoshes.  Each has strengths and weaknesses.

We have software development contracts, hardware development contracts,
system development contracts, engineering and technical assistance
contracts, research contracts, etc, so I am interested in much more than,
e.g., "I think the Microsoft C compiler is better than the Lattice C
compiler."  I am interested in medium to large projects, e.g. 15-300
people, rather than small projects, e.g., 1-20 people.

I am interested in the complete product life-cycle, from initial
conception through preliminary design, initial marketing, internal
development (or contract acquisition), development, documentation, sale
(or deployment), to maintenance and modification.

I would very much appreciate hearing from anyone in netland who has been
thinking about these or similar ideas.

Is there another newsgroup where such a discussion is currently going on
or could be started?
--
Jeff Hull            decvax,hplabs \
13817 Yukon Avenue   ihnp4,sdcrdcf -> !trwrb!trwspp!spp2!jeff

It was great when it all begaaaaaaaaan,
I was a regular <USENET>  faaaaaaaaaan, ...