Microport Unix & UUCP

Eric Black eric at cti.UUCP
Sat Jan 10 03:42:49 AEST 1987

In article <1040 at hope.UUCP> jantypas at hope.UUCP (John Antypas) writes:
>Does anyone in netland know how to convince Microport Unix V.1.3.6
>to dial a courier 2400 modem for cu and uucp access?  The manuals say
>1.4 will support the public domain dial, but since they're shipping
>1.3.6 this isn't much help.  I can't believe they'd release a Unix with
>a UUCP which only works for direct connections.  How have other people
>done this.

Just put the modem dialing commands in the send/expect sequence in the
L.sys entry.  I'm running 1.36 and it works fine with a USR 2400.
It works for dialout on an Avatex 1200 (cheap!), but not for dialin
because there is no way to disable the status messages coming in from
the modem (which confuses getty and login!).

It's nice but not necessary to have UUCP know how to talk to a particular
modem, and have the phone number(s) in a separate file.

--
Eric Black   "Garbage In, Gospel Out"
UUCP:        {sun,pyramid,hplabs,amdcad}!cti!eric