Microport Unix & UUCP

Scot E. Wilcoxon sewilco at mecc.MECC.COM
Tue Jan 13 06:33:45 AEST 1987

In article <529 at cti.cti.UUCP> eric at cti.UUCP (Eric Black) writes:
>Just put the modem dialing commands in the send/expect sequence in the
>L.sys entry.  I'm running 1.36 and it works fine with a USR 2400.
>It works for dialout on an Avatex 1200 (cheap!), but not for dialin
>because there is no way to disable the status messages coming in from
>the modem (which confuses getty and login!).

I've been keeping two binary-only sites working for a while, and others
might be interested in some general tricks.  Incidentally, our two Xenix
machines died January 1st, and SCO's help was late and futile.
Fortunately the replacement machine was being installed, so only two
weeks of work was lost.

Hack 1: Replace getty.  It simply requires caution and a backup copy of
the original getty.  In this case you make a getty which ignores the
modem status messages (or tells it to shut up).  Also, you can have
different gettys running on different ports or have getty behave
differently on different ports.  Want source?  Site 'omen' had one
several months ago, when I had to replace the one for SCO Xenix.
Actually, I had already replaced getty but omen's had a few more
features.  (I forget omen's phone number; look in the signature of
articles `fgrep "@omen" ~news/history`)

Hack 2: Create logins which match the modem status messages.  With no
passwords and shells which do nothing, or which tell the modem to shut
up, they might keep the link a little cleaner.

Hack 3: Put in getty's login message a modem command which tell the modem
to shut up.  The reverse may be necessary in L.sys.  This can be varied
for different tty ports by making new 'gettydefs' entries.

Hack 4: Change uucico's name and replace it with a front-end which knows
how to change modem settings for uucico, and how to change them back for
getty.  (A front-end like this can also be used to dial out on an incoming
port)
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon   Minn Ed Comp Corp  {quest,dayton,meccts}!mecc!sewilco
(612)481-3507           sewilco at MECC.COM       ihnp4!meccts!mecc!sewilco

  National Enquirer seers: 4 		Reality: 360