I May Be Wrong...

Ron Singleton rsingle at bbncc-washington.arpa
Fri Jan 16 07:12:03 AEST 1987

  Quoted from a recent digest: (I apologize for the inclusion, it isn't
something I do often.)

>From: Jim Joyce <jim at hoptoad.uucp>
>Subject: Usenix/Uniforum Hospitality suite for Jim Joyce's UNIX Bookstore
>Date: 14 Jan 87 03:57:47 GMT
>To:       info-unix at brl-sem.arpa
>
>(Like another who posted an announcement about Usenix, I would appreciate
>help in posting this to the right newsgroup)
>Jim Joyce's UNIX Bookstore will have its usual hospitality suite
>Tuesday through Thursday evenings from 4 pm - 7 pm, with wine and
>cheese.  No doubt authors of books will also show up, as they
>have at past incarnations.  Join us if you can -- and spread the word!
>We'll be at the Hilton Hotel.  Info will be at the Usenix desk.

    Flame me if you think I'm wrong, but this one got me.  No, I'm not
complaining about the advertising.  Quite the contrary, I think it's a good
idea.

    My complaint:  It appears to be somewhat 'elitist' in that you already
have to know who Jim Joyce is, where the bookstore is, and which HILTON in
WHAT CITY?????  Is the "hospitality suite" a continuous thing?  Is it only
for a certain season, year-round, or during some kind of "con", or seminar?

    Sorry Jim, but this digest is delivered all over the world and many of
us (it is, after all, for "new and/or uninformed users") may not know you.
A few do travel occassionally and if we had more information would probably
like a chance to visit.  For me, it's nice when in a strange city to know
where you can find somebody who shares an interest (UNI*, for instance).

    Flames direct, please.
    Ron S. (rsingle at cct.bbn.com)