Unix Dictionaries

gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP
Wed Jan 28 17:06:26 AEST 1987

In article <1987Jan22.110150.29415 at sq.uucp> dave at sq.UUCP (David R. Seaman) writes:
>It makes me wonder too, when words like the following pass spell!

With so many different implementations of "spell" loose in the world,
it's hard to say much generically (although I seem to remember a good
summary in CACM a couple of years back).  For example, my version of
"spell" only passed four of the more plausible words in the list as
"not possibly misspelled".  Note that some (most?) "spells" have a
"stop list" which can be expanded to trounce words that would
otherwise be accepted as correctly spelled.  If a site has a problem
with a frequent word like that, that's the simplest "solution".