Remote File Sharing (RFS) - SVR

bsteve at gorgo.UUCP bsteve at gorgo.UUCP
Tue Jan 13 14:01:00 AEST 1987

>Unfortunately, licensing SVR3 is not something that can be taken for granted,
>since the license contains some troublesome clauses about mandatory SVID
>compliance that have made a lot of vendors think twice about it.

 This is *NOT* unfortunate. Previous ports of System V UNIX by multiple vendors
produced a hodge-podge of systems that were only marginally compatible. The
SVID compliance clauses in vendor licenses are designed to prevent the problems
in previous releases. The major reasoning for there being a SVID is that if I
write a product for an xyzzy that is SVID compliant, I want to be able to port
it trivially to an aardvark which is also SVID compliant. This certainly does
not preclude the implementation of 'universes' or other more global programming
and user environments, it just means that the product must be what it is
advertised to be... and high time, thank you.

   Steve Blasingame (at the summit of Monster Island)
   bsteve at eris.berkeley.edu
   ihnp4!occrsh!gorgo!bsteve