why learn UNIX

btb at ncoast.UUCP btb at ncoast.UUCP
Sat Jan 31 17:23:46 AEST 1987

How much does dec pay these guys to knock Unix in favor of VMS?  VMS is
like an advanced MSDOS for minicomputers... Unix is sheer brilliance,
simplicity of design & function...

Ed Cetron says he did the same as the one-line Unix spelling checker under
VMS... on how many lines?  With how many options on how many commands?
He didn't use pipes, because they don't exist, and if he wanted to do it
in the background, he had to add something like spawn/nowait/input=nl: to
EACH and every separate command that he used to emulate the Unix one-line
command... The Unix user only has to add & to the end of his one-line.

I don't have to sell Unix to these non-believers... either they retire, or
they will have to learn it within the next 5 years, because in the free
market, productivity and standardization are the restoring force, and with
this force, Unix has been the single stable eigenstate for the past 10+
years.

--
			Brad Banko
			...!decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!btb

"The only thing we have to fear on this planet is man."
			-- Carl Jung, 1875-1961