AT&T and SUN Unix

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Fri Apr 15 03:51:44 AEST 1988

Let's look at where standards originate currently:
	SysV	AT&T
	BSD	Sun (sorry, they seemed to have loaned B enough
		programmers to get 4.3 out the door)
	Xenix	Microsoft (in terms of licenses sold they are
		the leader, no matter what you think of the hardware)

  And who's doing the combined version? Same three. Motorola will be
doing some things, too, but I either forgot or never knew.

  What would I like? Fast file system, streams, NFS and RFS, sockets,
TCP/IP, shared memory, SysV semaphores (reliable), shared memory, and
named pipes. SysV paging algorithm, HDB uucp, Xenix system
administration tools.

  In a year I'll know if my wishlist is anything like the real
product, but at least we have a chance. I would be interested to hear
anyone's favorite features, and to clarify why I like what I do if
you're not familiar with it.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)