Altos 586

Lawrence Simmons larrys at aecom.YU.EDU
Thu Aug 18 03:49:39 AEST 1988

>   I just finished dusting off a long un-used Altos 586, and I can't
>   quite get UUCP up and running.  (And of course the manuals have
>   disappeared long ago)  This beast is running Xenix 2.3

I know four years ago, an Altos 586 latest version was 2.5 (and that version
had problems, which I now can't remember). Version 3.0b works well on it,
but I'm sure that is not the latest version now.

>   Can anyone tell me what the following files are, and what format
>   they should take.
>
>   /etc/ttys                 (Looks like something similar to what would
>                              be an inittab in later versions of unix)
>   /etc/ttytype              (You got me, no idea what this is doing)
>   /usr/lib/uucp/L.sys       (Similar in format to newer Systems)

The files /etc/ttys and /etc/ttytype are used by the pconfig program to
establish the correct port configurations. You can edit the files directly
but its easier to use pconfig. You've stumped me on the last one.

>   Better yet, anybody have an extra copy of the manuals???  (I know,
>   museum pieces, but worth a try...)

I'll look. (Don't tell anyone, but I still use an Altos 186 at home!)
The 186 and 586 are extremely similar.

Larry Simmons