Workstations: good reasons for owner root access

Michael T Sullivan sullivan at vsi.UUCP
Thu Aug 18 00:52:47 AEST 1988

In article <183 at ndc.UUCP>, sgf at ndc.UUCP (Fishman) writes:
> I work on a diskless microVAX 2000, so I don't do my own system
> administration, but I occasionally _must_ have su privledge (sp?).
> That happens when my system must be rebooted, so I have to do a
> shutdown.  Now, my system administrator _could_ walk around to

Our 3B2 with SVR3.1 has a shutdown login.  It is set up here as a non-login
account, but in your case it could have a password on it so you can shut
the machine down while still not su'ing to root.  Is this possible on the uVAX?

--
Michael Sullivan				{uunet|attmail}!vsi!sullivan
V-Systems, Inc. Santa Ana, CA			sullivan at vsi.com
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of eldeberries!  Pbbbt!"