dial() function call

Joe Bob Willie haugj at pigs.UUCP
Tue Aug 9 04:31:46 AEST 1988

In article <28 at attibr.UUCP> vch at attibr.UUCP (Vincent C. Hatem) writes:
>Has anyone out there ever got the dial(3C) function call to work???
>
>I've got a 3B2/600 running SysVr3.1.1 here, which comes with HDB uucp.
>
>This crazy dial() call uses the old style uucp files, which I've re-created.
>(Why be consistant???)
>
>It seems that no matter what I tell it, it returns an error code indicating
>that the device I specify is unknown. But - it should be known...
>
>Can anyone please help????

i've received five or six requests for my modemcap thing, so i will be
sharing it up and mailing it off to rich $alz.  depending on his current
backlog, plus the delay in my getting it out, it should show up in
comp.sources.unix in the next few weeks.

i'll also go ahead and make a copy available for anonymous uucp, so watch
comp.sources.d for that announcement.

alas, my code also uses the old style uucp files and has conditional
compilation for old style lock files.  an improvement since last release
is the addition of primitive support for bi-directional modem lines.
(it finds the getty, creates the lock, then nukes the getty off ;-)
--
 jfh at rpp386.uucp	(The Beach Bum at The Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers)
     "Never attribute to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity"