Looking for a Simple Text Editor

Don Riss donr at shark.TEK.COM
Thu Aug 25 01:58:15 AEST 1988

In article <4912 at fluke.COM> pwl at tc.fluke.COM (Paul Lutt) writes:
>I have been asked by one of our users to try to obtain a "simple to
>learn and use" visual text editor.  He considers vi and emacs to be
>much too complicated for the casual user.  He also considers the PC-
>based WordPerfect to be too complicated.

Has anyone written or considered writing a UCSD-Pascal-like editor for
VAX or SUN or whatever?  The UCSD editor will do a lot of things, some
of them the hard way, but its main advantage seems to be that moderately
intelligent seventh-graders can (and have) learned it quite easily.

An aside - I've got to fix my .cshrc - it threw me into (yuk-ptui) vi
to write this note.  I've just found out that J is the way you delete
a CRLF.  Now that's not intuitively obvious to the casual observer...
but may make some wierd sort of sense to the computer scientist who
believes that control-J = LF (sometimes)

DISCALIMER::NOBODY, BUT NOBODY WANTS THESE IDEAS BUT ME, & I'M NOT SURE
            ABOUT ME.