Looking for a Simple Text Editor

Paul Lutt pwl at tc.fluke.COM
Wed Aug 24 06:30:52 AEST 1988

I have been asked by one of our users to try to obtain a "simple to
learn and use" visual text editor.  He considers vi and emacs to be
much too complicated for the casual user.  He also considers the PC-
based WordPerfect to be too complicated.

If this particular user had a Sun workstation, I would suggest
something like Sun's textedit tool.  However, the user is stuck with a
VT100 style terminal.

Possible solutions include an emacs profile that provides access to the
most basic functions only.  Perhaps a WordStar mapping.  We have both
Unipress emacs and GNUemacs available.

If you have had the same sort of request and have found a reasonable
solution, I would sure like to hear about it.

As background, the target systems would be Vax 11/780s running Mt. Xinu
MORE/bsd and Sun workstations running SunOS 3.5.2 and SunOS 4.0.

Please mail any replies to me direct and I will pass them along.  Thank
you.
--
	Paul Lutt
Domain:	pwl at tc.fluke.COM