RCS and SCCS

Charles Wolff charles at dragon.UUCP
Tue Aug 2 08:49:29 AEST 1988

In article <3494 at rpp386.UUCP> jfh at rpp386.UUCP (The Beach Bum) writes:
>In article <8187 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>>In article <1023 at unccvax.UUCP> wdg at unccvax.UUCP (Doug Gullett) writes:

...and so forth.  Since sccs vs. rcs is back in the news, I'll add my thoughts.
I studied the two to decide which we'd use for our 88000 sourcebase.  We
ended up using rcs, but my conclusion was that with a little clever shell
scripting you could pretty well do whatever you wanted with either one...
in fact, we basically went with rcs just because our 68000 group was
using sccs and we wanted to see what the differences would be.

we did come across an interesting problem with sccs today... we had a
shell script in one of our utilities where the author (are you reading
this, Fred Fish?) wanted to capture the current date and time in a format
suitable to use with the "touch" command, so he did something like:

	DATE_TOUCH=`date +%m%d%H%M%y`

when we checked it into and back out of the sccs source base however,
something happened... sccs saw %H% in the middle of the line and decided
that was an SCCS significant string... so on checking out the file,
converted it to the current date in MM/DD/YY format.  Oops... if anybody
has any brilliant suggestions for how to get around this, they'd be
welcome...

--
"Whenever the literary German dives into a sentence,	|  Charles Wolff
that is the last you are going to see of him till he	|  Motorola Microsystems