Fastest way to backup 300MB

ben ullrich ben at bosco.sybase.com
Mon Aug 15 17:57:15 AEST 1988

In article <516 at anagld.UUCP> rcsmith at anagld.UUCP (Ray Smith) writes:

>I have a situation where I need to be able to backup 300MB of data
>in less than 30 minutes. This will probably be done on a Sun system.
>My question is, what would be the fastest way of doing this?
>	- Dump to tape?
>		- Which format (tar, dump, cpio, tpio)?
>		- Which tape drives and controllers are fastest?

sun sells fugitsu gcr tape drives that work fairly well.. on a lightly
loaded system, i've seen them back up an entire eagle (~500mb) in 30 minutes.
it takes 4 tapes or so, however, even at 6250 bpi. this definitely is not
fastest (disk to disk probably is), but is sure straightforward.
dump was the utility that did this, btw.

...ben
--
ben ullrich						sybase, inc.
database administrator					6475 christie avenue