Writing HP cartridge tapes on a Sun 3

Anthony Burzio burzio at mmlai.UUCP
Wed Aug 10 22:16:29 AEST 1988

In article <1378 at zen.co.uk>, frank at zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) writes:
> >I was told by HP at a UNIX class that their file system for UNIX is
> >actually built up an an older file system.
> >
> This was true on the now-obsolete series 500 machines, which used SDF
> (Structured Directory Format), but the current 300 and 800 series machines
> both use the Berkeley-McCusick Fast File System.

If this is true, can you then explain the following:  when you create
swap space on an HP disk drive, you may not change the size without
reformatting the disk.  I was told that this is because the swapping
space is in the old file system and therefore static.  If anyone knows
how to change the swap size dynamically ( we use SDRC CAD programs
that are real swap hogs ) please let me know...

(By the by, I am going to take the results of this to HP to update
their UNIX SysAdmin course.  Seems they are a little out of date...)