Workstations: good reasons for owner root access

Fishman sgf at ndc.UUCP
Wed Aug 17 03:45:24 AEST 1988

I work on a diskless microVAX 2000, so I don't do my own system
administration, but I occasionally _must_ have su privledge (sp?).
That happens when my system must be rebooted, so I have to do a
shutdown.  Now, my system administrator _could_ walk around to
every uVax in the building (we don't have all that many), and
reboot them herself, but it's a lot easier for her to call me
(and the other VaxStation folks) and ask me to do it myself.

The root password on each VaxStation is different, and is different
from the server's, so knowing it doesn't make it any easier to
get root priveledges on the server.

--
 |  Sharon Gates-Fishman    | Speak for my employer?                      |
 |  amdahl!cit-vax!ndc!sgf  |	Isn't it enough that I work for them?     |