Workstations: good reasons for owner root access

brad morrison XNX SE# morrison at ficc.UUCP
Thu Aug 18 04:33:11 AEST 1988

In article <183 at ndc.UUCP>, sgf at ndc.UUCP (Fishman) writes:
> I work on a diskless microVAX 2000, so I don't do my own system
> administration, but I occasionally _must_ have su priviledge.
> That happens when my system must be rebooted, so I have to do a
> shutdown.  Now, my system administrator _could_ walk around to
> every uVax in the building (we don't have all that many), and
> reboot them herself, but it's a lot easier for her to call me
> (and the other VaxStation folks) and ask me to do it myself.

You could use a "shutdown" login, which could run the shutdown program
as its "shell", with user id zero.  The password could also be "shutdown".
You could trap all of the interrupts, and even if someone was able to
interrupt the program, all they'd get would be a login prompt.
--
Brad Morrison         Ferranti International Controls Corporation
                                       12808 W. Airport Boulevard