NEC LC-890 in hp emulator mode

Leo de Wit leo at philmds.UUCP
Fri Aug 12 21:26:42 AEST 1988

In article <49764GL4 at PSUVM> GL4 at PSUVM.BITNET writes:
|i have an NEC LC-890 hooked up to a unix machine (Celerity) running
|BSD 4.2 ... the NEC has a mode to emulate an HP laserjet+, but i can't
|get it to work ... if you feed it a file that looks like:
|
|       whaa
|       whaa
|       whaa
|
|it will print out:
|
|      whaa
|          whaa
|              whaa
|
|and eventually just run off the end of the paper for files with longer lines.
|
|it seems like it's just not getting the carriage return (obviously). i've
|called both Celerity and NEC, and they basically said, "duh".

Maybe your "whaa" just scared him off the paper 8-) ?
No, seriously, have you tried setting a dipswitch, something like 'CR after
LF' or 'CR after buffer print'? My printer had one.
Not getting the carriage return? Unix text files use linefeed as the line
terminator, not CR/LF or LF/CR. So there IS no carriage return. You have
to generate it (hardware, software, by the printer, by the driver, by your
program, whatever is the most appropriate).
An alternative could be to do it in software, using a filter (not recommended).
But look for that dipswitch first.

               Leo.