100 % +/- 5% compatible UNIX C compiler for IBM ATs.

Mark Buda hermit at shockeye.UUCP
Tue Oct 25 06:51:46 AEST 1988

In article <17311 at adm.ARPA> marco at concour.concordia.cdn (Marco Zelada)
	wants to know about a PC C compiler that is very very like UNIX cc

In article <7431 at well.UUCP> samlb at well.UUCP (Samuel B. Bassett) responds:
>I have used the Power C package from Mix (the ~$50 one advertized in BYTE,
>Computer Language, DDJ, etc) to work on a medium-sized (~2000 line) filter
>package at home.  The code compiles identically under Power C and cc on
>the Sun workstations at work (4.2 BSD).
>	Can't get much more compatible  :-)
>
>(I didn't try anything too fancy, however . . . )

I've been wishing I could compile GNU CC on a 386 PC/AT clone so I can hack
MINIX until it works in 386 protected mode. But there are some BIIIG
problems.

There are some whopping huge macros.
An 'int' is treated like a pointer all over the place. This doesn't work in
large/huge model. In particular, 0 is passed as a null pointer instead of
0L.
The whole thing is bigger than 640K.

Could Power C deal with these things? Specifically, CAN IT COMPILE WITH
int==long instead of int==short????

CAN ANYTHING???????? AAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!!! I WANT GNU CC BUT NOTHING I HAVE
ACCESS TO CAN COMPILE IT!!!!!!! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!

(sorry, I've been banging my head against the wall a lot lately.)
--
Mark Buda / Smart UUCP: hermit at shockeye.uucp / Phone(work):(717)299-5189
Dumb UUCP: ...rutgers!bpa!vu-vlsi!devon!shockeye!hermit