Why does a shell script fail in crontab?

Randy Orrison randy at umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU
Thu Oct 20 01:27:20 AEST 1988

In article <287 at lakart.UUCP> dg at lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
|0 7 * * *	root	/usr/local/dopath
		^^^^
|Note: this is a setuid
|root shell script - yes I am aware of the possible security leak,

My question is: WHY is this a setuid shell script?  As set in your
crontab, it's executed by root, so there's no reason I can see to have
it setuid also.  In a situation like yours (only two users, both
trusted) I can see that it wouldn't be too much of a worry, but to do
it for no reason is just plain silly.

	-randy
Randy Orrison, Chemical Computer Thinking Battery  --  randy at cctb.mn.org
(aka randy@{ux.acss.umn.edu, umn-cs.uucp, umnacca.bitnet, halcdc.uucp})