AT&T forms Developer Support Group for System V Release 4

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Mon Oct 24 11:07:12 AEST 1988

Here is a summary of the article in InfoWorld of Oct. 17 I mentioned earlier
this week:

In the keynote address at the Chicago PC Expo, Robert Kavner, president of
AT&T's Data Systems Group, revealed that AT&T had formed an organization
of major computer companies committed to support AT&T's UNIX System V Release 4.

He acknowledged that Microsoft and Lotus will be members, but would
not reveal names of any other members of the still unnamed group.

The group's purpose is to demonstrate AT&T's commitment to an open computer
operating system; the formation of OSF forced AT&T to focus on UNIX as a product
that will have to compete with other products, rather than as a technology
shared by many vendors.

Kavner predicted that the two UNIX Standards (OSF's and AT&T's) will eventually
merge, as both organizations incorporate features found in each others versions
in order to remain competitive.

He said, "The question of how it will happen, when, and who will lose market
share remains to be seen."

Sorry for the delay in posting this, someone walked off with my copy of
the magazine.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp at killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD