Anonymous ftp's

Ron Stanions sauron at dsoft.UUCP
Sun Oct 30 13:09:59 AEST 1988

I'm running a recently established usenet site, and I've noticed during
my readnews scans a number of times there is mention of machines that
contain large archives of source and binaries of most of the things that
have been posted on the net.  Along with that is the constant mention
that many of these machines allow anonymous ftp'ing.  Near as I can
figure it, ftp stands for file transfer (protocol?)

Well, the question is simple.  how do you use an anonymous ftp?  Am I
supposed to call these machines directly and log in under a guest
account, call in through uucp to an anonymous uucp account, or is it
something that I can do by way of requesting via uucp links from my own
machine, to have their machine send me the sources I want?

And while I'm making a total and complete fool of myself }-)  could
someone tell me where I should go to find the answers to all these
questions? I'm sure they've been answered before!

--
   --Sauron, sauron at dsoft.UUCP   \_/\--/\_/    All things posted by me are
 ...rutgers!galaxy!dsoft!sauron   < \  / >    by-products of a deranged mind