Anonymous ftp's

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Oct 30 14:03:43 AEST 1988

In article <71 at dsoft.UUCP> sauron at dsoft.UUCP (Ron Stanions) writes:
>Well, the question is simple.  how do you use an anonymous ftp?  Am I
>supposed to call these machines directly and log in under a guest
>account, call in through uucp to an anonymous uucp account, or is it
>something that I can do by way of requesting via uucp links from my own
>machine, to have their machine send me the sources I want?

Unless you're on a real network (using the DoD Internet protocols
TCP/IP, etc.) you probably don't have the ability to access files via
FTP.  Anonymous FTP is simply FTP where you supply "anonymous" as
your user name and something like your name at site as an unchecked
password when connecting to the site in question.  Normally you have
restricted file access for an anonymous FTP connection, for example
a UNIX host might use chroot to keep you from exploring outside the
set of files being made available for anonymous FTP.

Doug Comer has a good book out on the details of internetworking.