Socket Questions

totty at m.cs.uiuc.edu totty at m.cs.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 7 11:38:00 AEST 1988

	I have some questions about sockets that maybe I
	can get answers to...

	1) Is there a book that describes sockets?  The Sun
	   man pages I have are not enough.
	2) Using a connected stream will send block until
	   it is able to send all of its data?  I have a
	   program where send will return but only having
	   sent some of the data.  The length field returns
	   the # of bytes sent, but I thought send returned
	   only when all data had been sent...
	3) When I close a socket, the select() call on the
	   other end thinks it is ready to be read.  Is
	   this what is supposed to happen?  How does the
	   other end know when the remote socket closed
	   the connection?  Is there an end-of-file status?

					Thanks,

					--- Bri

   /                      Brian Totty              o o
  /__  __  o      URH 655 Sherman / 909 S. Fifth    o
 /  / /   /           Champaign, IL 61820          \_/  "We have corn in
/__/ /   /            totty at a.cs.uiuc.edu                Massachusetts too!"