BSD vs. System V, one last thing...

Scott Barman scott at dtscp1.UUCP
Tue Sep 20 11:20:00 AEST 1988

In article <21106 at cornell.UUCP> murthy at cs.cornell.edu (Chet Murthy) writes:
>In article <553 at umbio.MIAMI.EDU> jherr at umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Jack Herrington) writes:
>At least, not paged virtual memory.  sysV diesn't
>have it because, as I heard it, it is derived from
>PWB/UNIX, and not v7.  PWB was the same UNIX,
>so I have heard, that spawned 32v, which went on to
>become 2bsd, 3bsd, 4bsd, etc.  However, sysV did
>get paging in version V.2.2.  And also in V.3
>System V did indeed have swapping, though.  But
>then swapping can be done with a minimum of hardware.

No!  32V (and I used 32V waiting for a 4.0bsd tape--way back when :-) was
version seven made to run on the Vax.  It was not derived from PWB.
BSD was derived (from what I have been told) v6 (2.x bsd) and 32v (from 3 bsd,
a beastie I never used :-).  System III was derived from PWB and, of course,
System V is derived from System III (System IV never worked real well from
what I have been told by someone who has used it).  Since AT&T based SV
on PWB and not v7, it convinced the company I worked for to stay with BSD
since stuff running on our PDP 11/55 running v7 required extra work to port
and worked with no problems on BSD.
(yes, this is a jab at AT&T--I still feel they should have "gone with the
girl that brung 'em").

--
scott barman		..!gatech!dtscp1!scott