Summary of Responses

The Beach Bum jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US
Tue Sep 6 04:06:57 AEST 1988

In article <48200005 at hcx3> shirono at hcx3.SSD.HARRIS.COM writes:
>In comp.unix.questions <1000 Aug 31, 1988>, leightsu at neptune.UUCP writes:
>> It is not documented in the Ultrix and BSD4.3 doc sets that I have in
>> my possession. Am I missing something?
>
>Yes.  -c is not an option to su.  It is an option to sh, csh, ksh (and
>I believe tcsh, as well).

the -c may not be an option to su, but it works quite nicely, thank you.

Script is typescript, started Mon Sep  5 13:01:29 1988
Subscript out of range.
1 - #rpp386-> su jfh -c id
uid=100(jfh) gid=0(root)
2 - #rpp386-> logout
Not a terminal: Not a character device
John's Words of Wisdumb -
Good leaders being scarce, following yourself is allowed.
Script done Mon Sep  5 13:01:53 1988

what most likely is happening is that -c is being passed to the shell
as the command and the command is being passed as the argument, which
the shell then interprets as a command.  so, in the end everything works
just fine.
--
John F. Haugh II (jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US)                   HASA, "S" Division

    "If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong."
                -- Norm Schryer