Advice Request on the C Users Group

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Mon Sep 5 17:49:59 AEST 1988

In article <840 at viscous> brianm at sco.COM (Brian Moffet) writes:
>In article <572 at ardent.UUCP> worley at ardent.UUCP (John Worley) writes:
>>
>>    I recently received a letter from the "C Users Group" (CUG), offering
>>wonderful things if I would consent to join them.  Before I send away for
>>this, I would like any and all opinions on the outfit, especially concerning:
>
>I am interested in this information also please.  I recieved on of these
>yesterday (what a subjective term on the net!) and am curious.

They are a legitimate outfit which grew out of the old (CP/M) BDS C Users Group.The operation is run by Robert Ward, the author of the QUE book, "Debugging C".

Much of the code on the CUG disks is CP/M (older disks) and MS-DOS (more recent
disks) oriented, but more and more UNIX stuff is appearing. $8/volume.

  Some sample titles: NRO (a roff-like formatter), MicroSpell, DECUS CPP,
  Little Smalltalk (for UNIX), etc.

They also publish a magazine, which comes with membership, called the "The
C Users Journal", with columns by P.J.Plauger and Tom Plum (of Plum Hall).

They distribute their disks in a variety of formats, specifically:

	`We can supply these volumes in almost any
	 MSDOS or CPM soft sectored format (5 1/4"
	 or 8"), or on UNIX tar or cpio archives (5 1/4"
	 only).'

	 (Quoted from their catalog)

I suspect that the 5.25" UNIX tar/cpio disks are of the variety written by
PC-compatible hardware (i.e. 286/386 UNIX/XENIX versions) -- thus various
disk drives in 3Bx or various minis might not be able to read them.

They also distribute a wide range of C and UNIX related books, at retail
price, which would make them a valuable source for overseas folks who
can't get US-published books in their location. They accept Visa/Mastercard,
Int'l. Money Orders, and US-$ checks.

Hope this helps!

Wolf Paul
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp at killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD