umount : fs busy

Lawrence V. Cipriani lvc at cbnews.ATT.COM
Wed Sep 7 22:02:04 AEST 1988

In article <27261 at neabbs.UUCP> psloot at neabbs.UUCP (PAUL SLOOTMAN) writes:
>When I want to umount a filesystem, I sometimes (entirely correctly)
>get the message "umount failed: file system busy".
>
>My uestion is: how can I find out who or what is keeping it busy?
>Obviously it can be found, 'cos umount knows about it. The system
>in question is SysV.

See /etc/fuser(1M) in the UNIX(tm) Administrators Reference Manual.
fuser can tell you what process id's are using a file or file system.
fuser will even kill those processes with the -k option.  This can
be useful when shutting down a machine, though fuser can be very slow.
I found /etc/killall to be a better solution when shutting down.
If you use the -u option of fuser it will give the user names that
owns the process.

--
Larry Cipriani, AT&T Network Systems, Columbus OH, cbnews!lvc lvc at cbnews.ATT.COM