IBM AIX

PAUL SLOOTMAN psloot at neabbs.UUCP
Tue Sep 6 02:33:33 AEST 1988

>In article <17017 at adm.ARPA> mdeleo at lynx.northeastern.edu writes:
>>I was wondering if anyone out there has already seen or know
something
>>worth knowing about IBM's new "UNIX" operating system AIX ???
>>From what I have heard it is suppose to be 99-100% compatable with
the
>>famed SYSTEM V Unix.  But how compatable will it really be ???
>
>Well, AIX is and has been out for a couple of years, now.  It was
>first made for the IBM RT PC by INTERACTIVE Systems Corp. and has
>several different versions like the NLS and Kanji products.
>
>It's very compatible with System V.  What else can I say?

I protest (partly). I have worked with it for about 2 months off and
on;
everything I saw _was_ compatible, except for the spooling -- the
wonderful lp(1) spooler was not present. Its place was taken by
'print',
which does everything a System 34 etc user would expect (menus for
pitch,
font etc.). However, it only works with IBM hardware (of course :-).
For example,
        cal 1988 | print
and
        cal 1988 > /dev/lp1
do _exactly_ the same thing: both end up in the queue. As a result,
output from a wordprocessor (with lots of esc sequences) got treated
as
a string of ascii chars, and was terminated after 80 - the paper
width.
For the rest, the system looks fine.

>>Will it work with the "C","Bourne", and "K" shells?
>
>Yes, we (at INTERACTIVE) had all three shells working on
>AIX.  I prefer the KSH, so that was there.  IBM supports and
>provides the Bourne shell, but I'm not sure about the CSH. ...

The csh is alive and kicking. (I didn't check for job control, as
I don't have it on the other (system V) systems here...

Paul Slootman
...!mcvax!neabbs!psloot