IBM AIX

Andrew Beattie andrew at riddle.UUCP
Wed Sep 7 21:24:58 AEST 1988

>I was wondering if anyone out there has already seen or know something
>worth knowing about IBM's new "UNIX" operating system AIX ???
>From what I have heard it is suppose to be 99-100% compatable with the
>famed SYSTEM V Unix.  But how compatable will it really be ???

I have only used it for a few hours, but I hated it!

My problem was that not all serial lines are the same, you have ttys for
terminals and something else for serial printers.  You have stty for setting
up one and something completely different (and menu driven - yeugh!) for
the other.  This did an excelent job of breaking all my printer interfaces.

The engineer at the site tells me that everything in /etc is organised
differently.

Disclaimer:  As I said, I only used it for a few hours - your mileage
may vary.