"anon ftp" -- just how does this work, anyway?

j eric townsend erict at flatline.UUCP
Sun Sep 11 06:10:44 AEST 1988

Ok, I've *finally* got an Inet/ARPA address, with all the goodies
that come along with it.  I've been trying to "anonymous ftp" files,
and I'm beginning to believe it's just a big joke on us Unix types. :-)

Just how does it work?  I can ftp <site> with no problem, but then
it wants me to login.  I tried anon, ftp, anonymous, etc and nothing
seems to work.  Is there a standard login for this, or is it a commandline
option that I missed along the way?

Email, I'll summarize....

--
Skate Unix.
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007