"anon ftp" -- just how does this work, anyway?

Steve DeJarnett steve at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
Wed Sep 14 07:29:46 AEST 1988

----- News saved at 13 Sep 88 21:29:17 GMT
In article <329 at uncle.UUCP> jbm at uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
>In article <317 at flatline.UUCP> erict at flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
>>Ok, I've *finally* got an Inet/ARPA address, with all the goodies
>>that come along with it.  I've been trying to "anonymous ftp" files,
>>and I'm beginning to believe it's just a big joke on us Unix types. :-)
>
>login: ftp
>password: ftp

	Uh, how about this:

	% ftp <random Internet site name/number here>
	  ftp prep.ai.mit.edu  (or ftp 128.52.32.14)

	(It will come up with some sort of connected message and a login-type
	 prompt indicating where you are ftp-ing to and your current login
	 name)

	  Name (prep.ai.mit.edu:steve): anonymous
	  331 Guest login ok, send ident as password
	  password: <anything here>
	  231 Guest login ok.  Access restrictions apply
	  ftp>

That's all there is to it.  The only problem you may come across is a site that
doesn't allow anonymous ftp, in which case it will send you some kind of error
message saying that the username wasn't found (or some such thing like that).

>that easy

	Almost.

>John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
>home: (614) 294-4823, work: (614) 459-7641; CP/M to MP/M, MS-DOS to OS/2

| Steve DeJarnett            | Smart Mailers -> steve at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU     |
| Computer Systems Lab       | Dumb Mailers  -> ..!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!steve |
| Cal Poly State Univ.       |------------------------------------------------|
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407 | BITNET = Because Idiots Type NETwork           |
In article <329 at uncle.UUCP> jbm at uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
>In article <317 at flatline.UUCP> erict at flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
>>Ok, I've *finally* got an Inet/ARPA address, with all the goodies
>>that come along with it.  I've been trying to "anonymous ftp" files,
>>and I'm beginning to believe it's just a big joke on us Unix types. :-)
>
>login: ftp
>password: ftp

	Uh, how about this:

	% ftp <random Internet site name/number here>
	  ftp prep.ai.mit.edu  (or ftp 128.52.32.14)

	(It will come up with some sort of connected message and a login-type
	 prompt indicating where you are ftp-ing to and your current login
	 name)

	  Name (prep.ai.mit.edu:steve): anonymous
	  331 Guest login ok, send ident as password
	  password: <anything here>
	  231 Guest login ok.  Access restrictions apply
	  ftp>

That's all there is to it.  The only problem you may come across is a site that
doesn't allow anonymous ftp, in which case it will send you some kind of error
message saying that the username wasn't found (or some such thing like that).

>that easy

	Almost.