VT_100 emulation on SUN 2

Every system needs one terry at wsccs.UUCP
Wed Sep 28 15:45:20 AEST 1988

In article <68857 at sun.uucp>, guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
| > I thing shelltool or cmdtool, if you made them 24 x 80 exactly,
| > would emulate VT100 closely enough to work with VMS.
|
| Doubtful.  The terminal emulated by "shelltool" (and by later versions of
| "cmdtool" when running in "full-screen" or "Disable Scrolling" mode) is ANSI
| X3.64-compliant terminal, just as a VT100 is; however, both terminals have a
| number of "private" escape sequences (for which X3.64 makes provisions) that
| are INcompatible.  One such escape sequence is the "set scrolling region"
| escape sequence on a VT100, which doesn't exist in "shelltool"; instead, the
| same sequence does something quite different (it sets the number of lines by
| which the screen scrolls up).  Unfortunate, but true.

We sell one.  See the Oct. Issue of Byte, New Products (we've been out since
1982, but have a newer version), or the cover of UNIX World (also Oct.).

We do VT100, TVI925, TVI912, ANSI 3.64, WYSE-50, ADM1 (Basic IV 7270), VT52,
TTY (like a smart 'cu').

With the exception of 132 columns, Double-high, and Double-wide on some
systems, we ARE exact enough for EVE, EDT, LSE (all tested) and all other
TPU and SMG based programs we could get our hands on.

And we run on 140+ (mostly UNIX) systems.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, ihnp4 } ...utah-cs!century!terry |
| @ Century Software        OR: ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
|                   'I have an eight user poetic liscence' - me               |